Hurricane Irma is approaching and this is how I prep…
I am that person that always has fresh fruits and vegetables on hand, so what do I do when a storm approaches? Bake everything and anything into something deliciously healthy. Should we lose power, I want to be prepared.
Of course we’re doing the responsible things:
- Filling water bottles and pots with filtered water (we have a few bottles too freezing)
- Bags of ice for the coolers
- Pulling patio furniture into the living room
- Stocking up on healthy snacks – nuts, seeds, dried fruits, protein bars. For my carnivorous friends, you can load up on canned tuna and sardines, and hard boil a few eggs.
But as I mentioned, I’ve been baking and prepping because we have a lot of fresh foods that I don’t want to go bad, so I’m making some of my favorite things like this Peanut Butter Banana Breakfast Cake, Simple Cinnamon Doughnuts, my new favorite Chocolate Doughnuts, Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins and this more savory Socca Bread.
This recipe, in addition to being incredibly simple and simply good for you, is very versatile. Load it up like you would a pizza, top it with hummus and sriracha, or your favorite nutbutter and jelly. My favorite topping? Guacamole, sauerkraut and Chiloula hot sauce… don’t knock it till you try it!
Storm or no storm, if you’re looking for a quick and healthy “bread” option, let this Socca Bread be your go-to!
amzn_assoc_placement = “adunit0”;
amzn_assoc_search_bar = “true”;
amzn_assoc_tracking_id = “welldess-20”;
amzn_assoc_ad_mode = “manual”;
amzn_assoc_ad_type = “smart”;
amzn_assoc_marketplace = “amazon”;
amzn_assoc_region = “US”;
amzn_assoc_title = “My Amazon Picks”;
amzn_assoc_linkid = “676d65128973a5be0be833fcefbfa698”;
amzn_assoc_asins = “B00Q28RXKO,B004I32AA8,B00NDI94BW,B008XMVM4U”;
Simple Socca Flatbread
- Prep Time: 0H 5M
- Cook Time: 0H 20M
- Total: 0H 25M
1 green/yellow plantain
1/2 cup filtered water
pinch of pink himalayan sea salt
1 Tablespoon nutritional yeast
1 garlic clove
1 teaspoon cumin
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F
2. grease an 8″ pie pan with 1 tablespoon coconut oil (warmed)
3. place ingredients (and optional ingredients) in blender or food processor and puree until smooth
4. Pour batter into your well greased pie pan.
5. Bake 20-25 minutes
I like to serve this with guacamole, sauerkraut and hot sauce!… don’t knock it till you try it!
Yield: 2 servings, Amount Per Serving: Calories: 159 , Total Fat: 1g, Saturated Fat: 0g, Trans Fat: 0g, Monounsaturated Fat: 0g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 0g, Carbohydrates: 40g, Fiber: 4g, Sugar: 17g, Protein: 3g, Cholesterol: 0mg, Sodium: 61mg, Calcium: 20mg, Iron: 1mg, Vitamin A: 1104IU, Vitamin C: 14mg, Phosphorous: 72mg
breakfast, lunch, dinner, snack, paleo, vegan, vegetarian, low carb
Simple, real food.