It’s that time of year, a certain fast food giant is rolling out its Shamrock Shake. It’s green and refreshingly minty, it also contains of 54 ingredients!
Can you name them all? What is it that makes it green? I shudder to think just how many of those I drank.
The ingredients in most conventional shakes and smoothies, too, are often linked so many serious health conditions. Dairy for example is a very inflammatory ingredient, that can be acid forming and harmful to our bone health. Dairy also contains an insulin-like growth factor commonly associated with different forms of cancers including both prostate and breast cancer.
Another ingredient to be wary of in these convenient shakes is sugar. Excessive amounts of sugar is linked to to a multitude of health issues including diabetes, obesity, heart disease, cancer, dementia and more. So for me, I skip the dairy and sugar rush and enjoy a no-guilt, gut healing Shamrockin’ Shake.
Enjoy this refreshingly minty shake with an innovative twist to promote your best health.
- 1/2 half a frozen banana (you could also use an avocado)
- 1 handful of spinach
- 1/4 cup chopped zucchini
- 1/2 cup frozen cauliflower (or more) – thawed if you don’t have a high-powered blender
- 1/4 teaspoon mint essential oil (or fresh mint leaves)
- 1 cup non-dairy milk (coconut for a sweeter taste)
- 1 scoop your favorite vanilla protein powder (you can omit but then I would use a full banana)
- 1 cup non-dairy milk (strong brewed coffee is good too!)
- pinch of pink himalayan salt
*optional – stevia, monk fruit or xylitol
Place all of your ingredients in a blender along with a handful of ice. Blend till smooth and creamy. Add more non-dairy milk or ice as necessary.