Though it might come as a bit of a shock, chickpeas (or garbanzo beans) are a powerful superfood that don't seem to get much credit. The benefits behind these little pulses just might surprise you.
Chickpeas have been shown to improve blood sugar levels in people with type 2 diabetes and improve blood pressure levels. These mighty beans may also encourage heart health, gut health, and even weight loss! And if that's not enough reason, according to Dan Buettner of Blue Zones, beans could add another healthy four years to your life!
Here, I'm sharing one of my favorite recipes for chickpeas, a Brownie Batter dip or dessert hummus. Basically, a delicious "batter" you can eat with a spoon!
Brownie Batter Dip
- 1 can chickpeas
- 1/4 cup strong brewed coffee (substitute non-dairy milk)
- 2 Tablespoons almond butter
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 Tablespoons cacao powder
- 1 Tablespoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon pink himalayan salt
- 2-4 Tablespoons pure maple syrup*
- 2 Tablespoons (or more) non dairy milk
- (optional) cacao nibs or chocolate chips
*for a sugar free option omit maple syrup and add 1 cup soaked, pitted medjool dates.
Add all of your ingredients (except for cacao nibs or chocolate chips) and process until smooth. This "Brownie Batter" is delicious as a dip, or even a frosting!